Every so often we should pause and reflect. On the way to the airport after hosting a South by Southwest meet up on neural diversity hiring, traffic was slow. This allowed an engaging conversation with the taxi driver. He asked me what led to success in my life. This prompted me to write down my 7 rules to live by. I hope these will help you in creating personal and professional success.
My 7 Rules to Live By
- Stay connected to the people who matter most.
- I learned from my early mentor to regularly get in touch with those who matter to me.
- Make personal contact (phone call/meet up). Electronic contact (Facebook, email, etc.) doesn’t qualify.
- I have an in-depth, personal relationship with the people who matter to me.
- Listen more, talk less.
- Listen actively, ask questions. Have genuine interest in others.
- Conclude conversation by asking how you can help.
- Make commitments you are truly committed to follow through on.
- Don’t make false promises.
- If you can’t deliver, admit it. Then ask if there’s something else you could do.
- Don’t swing the pendulum the other way and never commit to anything.
- Don’t get hung up on credit.
- Credit will always find its natural owner.
- Innovation’s a team sport.
- If you grab credit, it could kill others’ interest to participate and contribute.
- Acknowledge others – give out words of encouragement.
- I didn’t get to CEO position by myself. Others played a critical role.
- Mentoring and reverse mentoring – great ways to acknowledge and encourage.
- Hug the haters.
- With success, there are always those who are critical.
- I pause before I respond. Count to ten or wait a day.
- Sometimes it’s better not to respond at all.
- Ask others to hear the criticism and your response before delivering it.
- Respond with compassion, not harshness, rudeness, or name calling.
- Never, ever burn the bridge.
- Set priorities.
- When demands come, you can filter what needs to be done.
- For me it’s “the 5 Fs”
- Faith – I don’t get involved if it doesn’t align with my faith.
- Family – My wife, kids and grandkids.
- Friends – ties into my Rule #1 Stay Connected
- Fitness – Don’t overwork, burnout, and suffer health issues.
- Finance – Takes care of itself, if put finances at the bottom and follow other rules, it
Now that you have my 7 rules to live by, define your own set of rules to creating personal and professional success in your life.
Weak signals are all around us. How can you stay attuned and take advantage of emerging trends or fads? Tune in to Segment 4 of today’s podcast to learn more.
Five Minutes to New Ideas
Thanks for taking the time to join us. We’d love to hear your comments. You can add your comments at http://killerinnovations.com/.
Better yet, join us at The Innovators Community (http://theinnovators.network/community), an online Slack community where you can be a part of the conversation with leading innovators from around the world.