So you have an idea. You thinks its a killer idea. How do you make sure its the next great thing before committing significant resources (e.g. money, time, etc)?
Testing your ideas doesn’t have to be a big long dragged out process. By following a few quick steps, you can have the confidence that your idea will lead to the next game-changing innovation.
Step 1: Does the problem exist?
Rememebr that customers don’t but products or technologies, they buy solutions to their problems. To validate the problem, you need to:
- Frame the problem in a few sentances so that others can easily grasp the problem space you are going after.
- Define the impact of the problem (e.g. time, money, etc)
- Go talk to people NOT like you and see if they agree that the problem exists.
Step 2: Test Your Innovation
This is where you validate that what you’ve come up with solves the problem the customer has.
- Based on the input from Step 1, create a quick “fake” way to show people what your innovation is. This could be a video, a Flash demo, etc. Keep it cheap and fast.
- Again – go talk to people. Find more people who agree the problem exists and ask them how well your innovation addresses the problem.